Pistons as Engine Melody by Kenneth Widmerpool

Thanks to Bernard Goldberg Fine Arts

Title: Pistons as Engine Melody 

Author: Kenneth Widmerpool

Publisher: not known 

Source book: A Dance to the Music of Time series by Anthony Powell (I don’t know which book)

Do I have any clue at all what Pistons as Engine Melody is about? No I don’t. If you ask me, it sounds a bit of a clever clever title for a fictional book. A bit too facetious for its own good.

A different source tells me Widmerpool also wrote Pogrom of Youth.

Here’s what Wikipedia has to say about Kenneth Widmerpool. Interesting how some fictional characters have longer entries than real life people. 

Also featured in one of the A Dance to the Music Of Time books is Unburnt Boats by JG Quiggin. I have no idea what this book is about, but somehow the title brings to mind all those Greek ships drawn up on the seashore near Troy. Pay no attention to me.

I’m not sure I ever had the intention of reading A Dance to the Music of Time. And having read quite a bit about it recently, I suspect I never will. It looks as though the books are filled with characters I won’t like. And you know I have trouble reading books about people I don’t like.

Thanks to Saatchi Art

Comments