Formula 1: The Inside Track by Alexis Dunnet and Johnny Harlow

Thanks to Autosport.com for both images 

Title: Formula 1: The Inside Track

Author: Alexis Dunnet and Johnny Harlow

Publisher: Not known 

Source book: The Way to Dusty Death by Alistair MacLean

Alexis Dunnet is a successful financial journalist who suddenly decides to become a motor racing journalist. And becomes extremely successful in the field. He insinuates himself into the all powerful Coronado team and becomes friendly with the millionaire team owner James McAlpine.

Johnny Harlow is the fabulously successful current F1 world champion driver. He too is very friendly with Dunnet, and we are told they have collaborated on the book, rather than Dunnet acting as a ghost writer. So you get the impression this isn’t just an autobiography.

Now, if you have ever read The Way to Dusty Death (probably as a teenager in the 1970s), I bet I know what you’re thinking. And you’re right: this book isn’t actually given a title by Alistair MacLean. And normally I would exclude it from my list for that very reason. But I was looking at my bookshelves recently wondering why I still have all the Alistair MacLean books that I haven’t read for more than 40 years?* When this fictitious book sprang to mind. For some reason Dunnet and Harrow’s book had lodged itself in my memory. Even without a title. Without me even having to open the source book.

So, I thought Formula 1: The Inside Track would probably work as a title. After all, two men intimately involved in motor racing would be unlikely to write a book about anything else. If Alistair MacLean suddenly comes back to life and announces that Dunnet and Harlow’s fictional book was actually about flower arranging, or was an in-depth commentary on Alice in Wonderland, I promise I will apologise.

*And to answer my own question - it’s very hard to get rid of books. Even books you don’t read any more.



Comments