The Lineages and Histories of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms by Grand Master Malleon

Thanks to Beihai Mandarin 

Title: The Lineages and Histories of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms, With Descriptions of Many High Lords and Noble Ladies and Their Children 

Author: Grand Master Malleon

Publisher: Not known 

Source book: Game of Thrones by George R R Martin

Hmmm… this sounds awfully like a Burke’s Peerage or maybe an Almanach de Gotha for Westeros. Well, it’s always handy for the posh folks to be able to look themselves up in a book. You don’t want to accidentally ally yourself to someone who isn’t quite as posh as you are. Although, my mother always used to say that anyone could get a peerage (check out recent British politics for proof: she’d have been absolutely horrified), but you had to have a proper family history to feature in Burke’s Landed Gentry. Yes! You can look me up if you know my grandfather’s name.

The Lineages, as the title tells us, chronicles the lineages of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms in great detail. It’s large, old and ponderous. I bet it’s heavy too. My copy of Burke is 110mm wide (about 4 ¼ inches) and weighs a ton.

Lord John Arryn, the Hand of the King to Robert I Baratheon, borrowed the book from Grand Master Pycelle, but fell ill the next day and died soon after. Lord Eddard Stark then borrows the same copy. I haven’t read any of the Game of Thrones books (tried and failed) so I cannot give any more detail than this.

Thanks to Medievalists.net


Comments