You and Your Planets by Gail Andrews

Thanks to bbc.com
Title: You and Your Planets

Author: Gail Andrews

Publisher: Not known 

Source book: Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (H2G2 #5)

Gail Andrews is an astrologer with a new book out; You and Your Planets. So she’s keen to do an interview with well-known TV presenter Tricia McMillan because it’s free publicity. But a new planet has been discovered out beyond the orbit of Pluto*.  The planet is officially named Persephone but has been nicknamed Rupert after some astronomer’s pet parrot. Tricia wants to know if a brand new planet is going to affect astrological prognostications. It could be an important consideration if you read the sort of horoscope where Venus and the Moon are doing something to your Point of Destiny. What happens if Rupert is suddenly rising in Sagittarius?

I hardly ever read my horoscope, but one time that I did it said “you will go back to where you were born”. Considering I was born in Cyprus but live in London, the chances of this being correct must be astronomical. And yet…there I was in Cyprus. Also apparently, by total chance, my husband is the best match for my star sign. Did we check? Of course not. Did we fret about Pluto? No we didn’t.

Anyway, Tricia McMillan turns out to be another version of the Tricia McMillan, or Trillian as we know her, who we first encountered in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. But this alternative version of Tricia went upstairs for her handbag and thus failed to leave a party (and therefore the planet) with Zaphod Beeblebrox. So, girls! Never go back for your handbag. Or maybe you should if it’s got your glasses/contact lenses in. I get extremely anxious if I am more than 2 inches from my glasses, so it’s plain I am not built for adventure. But you already worked that out didn’t you? If I was busy adventuring I wouldn’t have time to read all these books.

Anyway, also mentioned is Practical Parenting in a Fractally Demented Universe because apparently accidental time travel is unavoidable these days and your child may suddenly turn out to be a lot older than she was this morning. Or the ‘this morning’ that you remember. That may not have happened yet.

Naturally, Mostly Harmless also features The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

* Pluto was downgraded to a dwarf planet about 14 years after Mostly Harmless was written.

Thanks to Sci.News


Comments