The Demonic Couplets by Salmon Thrusty

Thanks to Daily Hive
Title: The Demonic Couplets

Author: Salmon Thrusty

Publisher: Not known 

Source book: First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde 

Apparently The Demonic Couplets is an intractable masterpiece. Which I take to mean: it’s almost impossible to read. Its first two chapters have been read over and over again, but the rest of the book remains relatively unscathed (which is to say: hardly any reader got that far). 

Yes, I know books like that. I never got further into Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad) than the second page, and I was stuck in a car for 40 minutes with nothing else to entertain me. I couldn’t finish the first chapter of Riddle of the Sands (Erskine Childers), which was so monumentally dull I really do wonder if anyone has actually read it. I suppose someone must have because there was a film. And I never got more than about 5 pages into War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy). Look, every character in War and Peace simply has too many names. How are you supposed to work out who is who?

Would I get further into The Demonic Couplets I wonder? Likely not. But, I do pride myself on having read A Brief History of Time (on the beaches of Sydney). Honest.

Surprise footnote: I haven’t read The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie either. Have you?

Thanks to Intrafish



Comments